Friday, November 18, 2005

Final whiny post about health (or Geek with Asthma)

After two more trips (one failed, they were closed) to the doctor this week at the insistance of the school principal, the doctor got it through his thick skull that me wheezing and coughing from a change in room temperature wasn't going to fly. More x-rays of my chest (yay radiation!) and some proddings later he concluded that I have bronchitised myself right into bronchial asthma. Now I'm an awesome nerd with a shiny new inhaler. Here's my awesome list of awesome new daily friends:

Montelukast (US generic is Singulair) once a day. This is to reduce asthma symptoms. Side-effects: COUGHING! Take for two weeks.
Eprazinone Hydrochloride (No US brand? JP generic Resplen)3x a day. This is to both reduce cough and make phlem come out easier. What? Take for two weeks.
Tulobuterol hydrochloride (No US brand? It's been banned in the UK) 1 sticker on my chest a day. If I take the 2mg sticker like the doctor perscribes instead of the 1mg sticker that the pharmasist gives me instead I shake so hard that I can't walk. Take for two weeks.
Budesonide. 2 puffs twice a day. It's an inhailed cordiosteriod. My episode the last time I took a steriod is an epic Thanksgiving tale that my family won't let me live down. Let's see how this goes. This is my new friend for the next two months.
Sultanol Inhailer. As necessary, no more than 3 times a day. Take when you think you're going to have an attack. How the hell am I supposed to know that? I think I'm going to be friends with this for a long time.

Additionally, after teaching me how to use all of my new expensive nerd meds they drained me of like half of the blood in my body. Seriously. Ten vials of blood for what I think has got to be the most expensive blood test on the planet ($200!!). It's a good thing the pharmasist gave me a cookie. Anyway, I go back next week for the results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Final whiny post"....? Really? But they are so entertaining...!

Now, as to the matter of the reality of being diagnosed with asthma, well, I hope the guy (MD) knows what he's doing and I'm sure you'll get the hang of the inhalers.

....so that's a nerd-y thing? I never knew. And I'm usually so on top of things. I'm sure you've noticed. Nuf said. MPM

Jeremy + Samantha said...

I'm working hard on understanding the inhalers. I shot myself in the tongue the first time I used it. That stuff is COLD. Anyway, my lungs are still really irritated so I've been using my emergency inhaler about once a day so far (actually not yet today...).